Due to the number of enquiries asking where macadam should now be specified, NBS Technical Author Anna Dekker clarifies changes to standards and NBS which took place in 2008.
The changes were incorporated into NBS section Q22, and further information was provided in the General Guidance for that section.
Changes to standards:
- The previous British Standards for macadam and asphalt paving (BS 4987-1 and BS 594-1) were withdrawn and replaced by the new British/ European Standard, BS EN 13108 'Bituminous mixtures. Material specifications', which is split into several parts covering the different types of asphalt used across the EU
- The publication of BSI Guidance Document PD 6691 on the use of BS EN 13108. This focuses on the UK applications which are almost exclusively:
- Asphalt concrete (macadams) to BS EN 13108-1
- Hot rolled asphalt (HRA) to BS EN 13108-4
- Stone mastic asphalt (SMA) to BS EN 13108-5.
- BS 594987 'Asphalt for roads and other paved areas. Specification for transport, laying and compaction and type testing protocols' replaces BS 594-2 and BS 4987-2. Highways Agency (HA) Interim Advice Note 101/07 incorporates the changes into the HA Manual of contract documents for highway works
- BS EN 12697 'Bituminous mixtures. Test methods for hot mix asphalt' replaces the withdrawn BS 598.
Product descriptions changed with the introduction of the above standards and came into force on 1 January 2008, e.g.:
- The term 'macadam' is no longer referred to in the standards, and is now described as 'asphalt concrete' (AC). However, although the names have changed, the structure of the descriptions is similar: for example AC 20 dense bin 40/60 replaces 20mm DBM BC 50
- Binder penetration is longer be referred to by a single pen number, such as 50 pen or 125 pen; instead, the grade designation from BS EN 12591 is used, for example 40/60 or 100/150.
Relevant British/ European standards
BS 594987 Asphalt for roads and other paved areas. Specification for transport, laying and compaction and type testing protocols 
BS EN 12591 Bitumen and bituminous binders. Specifications for paving grade bitumens 
BS EN 12697 Bituminous mixtures. Test methods for hot mix asphalt.
BS EN 13108–1 Bituminous mixtures, material, specifications. Asphalt concrete [2006 + Corrigendum January 2008]
BS EN 13108–4 Bituminous mixtures, material, specifications. Hot rolled asphalt [2006 + Corrigendum January 2008]
BS EN 13108–5 Bituminous mixtures, material, specifications. Stone mastic asphalt [2007 + Corrigendum January 2008]
BS EN 13808 Bitumen and bituminous binders. Framework for specifying cationic bituminous emulsions [2005 + AMD 17215]